Thursday 8 October 2015

PROPHET, PRIEST AND KING OF YOUR HOME.

The other day I was listening to my children and my dad talking about life. One of their questions was whether there was divorce in my dad’s days. He is 85 years old, so obviously his answer was no. So I was standing there wondering why it was so obviously no.

I got to think about life as I knew it as a child. I realised that in t
hose days TV was still very young. There were still movies and magazines that weren’t allowed to be showed or sold. Pregnancy out of wedlock was something to be ashamed of. Living together before marriage was an absolute no-no. There were still family values. Fathers were the head of the family and his word was the absolute. Wives respected their husbands and children kept quiet in the company of elders. The family was protected, women were protected and children were protected, by the men of this world.

Today men seldom are the head of the family, most of the time they are missing in action. Women don’t respect men and definitely won’t submit. Children rebel and disrespect every authority figure in their lives. It is the norm to live together and pregnancy out of wedlock is an unfortunate mistake to be dealt with, definitely not something to be ashamed of anymore. There are no more values in our society. People look out for nr 1 and if your conscience bothers you, you squish it.

So where did it all go wrong? In my opinion it fell apart the day people let go of good old Christian values. Men let go of their role as providers and protectors, women refuse to submit to men they don’t respect anymore and children will not obey parents whose lives are falling apart. No wonder our society is falling apart. I mostly blame our non-existent men.

God gave men the authority to rule. Women were given to men as helpers. Together they were supposed to rule. Instead men ran away from their responsibility as leaders and women were forced to become the leaders. Men weren’t made to run and women weren’t made to lead and therefore our society won’t work.

One of the mistakes I made in my marriage was not submitting. I thought about it very hard and eventually I realised that even if my husband did not take his role as leader in our house seriously, I still should have submitted. I should have put my trust in God and not in my husband. I did not know God, so I could not put my trust in Him. What I did, is put my trust in myself, because I could not trust my husband to be prophet, priest and king of our home. So you see even though I did not know the Word of God, I still longed for a prophet, priest and king in our house. It’s because we were made that way. Today men use that wired in longing to be the leaders to abuse the people they were made to protect. Women do not abuse themselves, they get abused by men. Whether it is physically, emotionally or financially, women are dependent on men. It is right that women depend on men, but not on men who have been abusing their power as the stronger sex.

Why did I not submit (and I think this is the case with many women) to my husband; because he wasn’t leading. Instead of being mothers, helpers and caregivers, we have been forced to become providers and protectors. Most men have no manners and values anymore. A while back a friend and I came to the conclusion that even if we could get married again, we won’t. We are better off on our own. The men we would be interested in are taken and committed to their wives and families and amen to those men!!! The rest just don’t cut it. We would rather put our trust in a God we cannot see, than in men we can. The Bible says do not be yoked unevenly. I never understood that, but now I do. Do not be with someone who doesn’t know God. Why? Because when you know God everything in your life you will do according to God’s Word and then you have a chance at making a success of your life, job, marriage, etc.

I teach my children that if they want to have a good marriage, they should choose a partner who loves God more than them. I teach my children that it is right that they love God more than they love their father or me. I am teaching my son to be a prophet, priest and king in his home and my daughter to see submitting to her godly husband as something that will make her stronger and not weaker. I teach my children to always look to God as their source. Everything begins and ends with God, Abba Father.

What does it mean to be a prophet, priest and king?

Eph 5:25 “For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church.” Christ was a prophet, priest and king to the church.

To be a prophet means to represent God in your home. You have to speak the Word of God into your family’s life. You have to provide biblical instruction and training to your family. You are God’s messenger to your family.

To be a priest means to represent your family to God. It means to meditate on God’s Word, spending time in prayer and finding out what it is God wants for your family.

To be king means to be responsible for your family. You are the leader of your home. You have to protect, secure and provide. You have to lead with justice and mercy, wisdom and respect. Act with honour, treat your wife with respect and consideration and be a spiritual leader to her.

How can men and women lead and submit? We were created that way; men to lead in a godly way and women to submit to godly men. We were created equal, but with different qualities. Together we form a unit, made to rule on earth.

God created men for relation and vocation. They are the logical thinkers who express what they think. Men receive what they hear as information; they take interest in the abstract ideas, remembering the essence of the idea. They are wired to fight and work. They think like fighters and workers. That is why they are the leaders.

Women were made to support and help men; to be a companion, to share a man’s vision and help fulfil it and to be adaptable to her husband. Women were made to be processors of problems, ideas, etc. They were made to conceive, invent, develop, produce, protect and nurture and multiply what they were given. A woman will reflect whatever she gets from the man back to him. If it is love, he will get love back. Lack of love will also be reflected back to him. Women were made to have love expressed to them on a continued basis through affectionate words and gestures.  They are the emotional feelers; she expresses what she feels. She receives what she hears as an emotional experience and remembers and is interested in the concrete details of something.

Women and men were made different and therefore they have different primary needs.

Women want love, conversation and affection, while men want respect, companionship and sex. When we do not give this to each other we lose the battle, not only in our marriages, but in every aspect of life. It is time that our men get back to basics and become what they were made to be. It is time that society starts producing men again whom women can respect and children can look up to. It has to start with the men. They need to take their rightful place as godly men up. Then the order will be restored and the rest will follow. Women will become nurtures and helpers again and children will become secure and cared for. The family will become a united unit again and our society will become whole again.

I want to challenge the men of today to find out what God intended them to be and do. I also want to challenge the women to find out what God intended when He said we must submit to our husbands. When we get our god given roles straight I promise you we will start to see a renewal in our marriages and family life. Until then all we will see ia a society of broken marriages, lives and broken children.

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! This was the downfall. Of my 24 year marriage marriage.

    ReplyDelete